Translate

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Republicans on the Slur

Just when I thought the Republican Party couldn't go any further out of its mind, I found just how wrong I was. Doug Lamborn, of Colorado, was on a radio show, giving an interview, when he said, "Even if some...say 'Well, the Republicans should have done this...or that,' they will still hold the president responsible. I don't even want to be associated with him. It's like touching a tar baby....you're stuck and you're a part of the problem now..." How many get the tar baby reference? For those who don't, it has two connotations. The first one, the one I have heard of, is a reference to the Uncle Remus stories of B'rer Fox building a tar baby to catch B'rer Rabbit. The other, which I had never before heard, is a derogatory reference to an African American. While he is not the First Republican to use the phrase (Mitt Romney and John McCain did as well), he is the first one that I know of to refer to the President of the United States in this way. He did end up issuing an apology that, to me, isn't a real one at all. He said that he was sorry and that he shouldn't have used a term that "some may find insensitive." Let's ignore the fact he's a politician for a second. To me, it's not genuine because he did not say he found it offensive, but that some may. He then went on to say that he was criticizing the policies. The context, however, doesn't seem to fit that idea. The President has not commented.

No comments:

Post a Comment